Peanuts are a good source of healthy vitamins and minerals that protect our body from many diseases including cancer.
Here are the Top 10 amazing health benefits of peanuts:
- PEANUTS CAN ENSURE A STRONG AND HEALTHY HEART - Peanuts contain high levels of vitamins and minerals, as well as "good fats" that ensure a healthy heart. The high concentration of the antioxidant polyphenols in peanuts are known to reduce inflammation of coronary arteries. Peanuts also contain good quantity of Coenzyme Q10, a nutrient that makes the heart strong and protects it under conditions of reduced oxygen supply.
- PEANUTS CAN GREATLY REDUCE THE RISK OF STROKE - Peanuts have been found to have high bioflavonoid resveratrol content, even higher than grapes. Bioflavonoid resveratrol is believed to improve blood flow in the brain by as much as 30%, thus greatly reducing the risk of stroke.
- PEANUTS CAN LOWER BLOOD CHOLESTEROL - Peanuts are a good source of both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (the "good fats") which help in lowering blood cholesterol levels. Phytosterols in peanuts have been found to reduce bad cholesterol.
- PEANUTS CAN LOWER THE RISK OF COLON CANCER - Studies show that one of the health benefits of peanuts is lowering the risk of colon cancer. Eating peanuts just 2 or more times each week was associated with a 58% lowered risk of colon cancer in women and a 27% lowered risk in men. An ounce of peanuts (28.6 peanuts) contains 2 grams of fiber, which is 9% of your daily fiber need.
- PEANUTS CAN HELP INHIBIT THE GROWTH OF CANCER - The phytosterols in peanuts have been known to inhibit the growth of cancer cells, their invasion into other parts of the body, and may cut off the blood flow to cancers.
- PEANUTS PROMOTE HEALTHY BONES - Peanuts are rich in calcium which helps make the bones strong and healthy.
- PEANUTS CAN LOWER THE RISK OF ARTHRITIS - The high content of calcium in peanuts can also lower the risk of getting arthritis and other problems of the joints.
- PEANUTS CAN HELP FIGHT AND PREVENT ACNE - Peanuts are rich in Vitamin E which can help fight and prevent acne. Peanuts also contain high concentration of niacin which helps open up the blood vessels to improve circulation under the skin.
- PEANUTS PROVIDE PROTECTION AGAINST ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE - A 2004 study reported in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry shows that people who get enough niacin in their diet cut their risk of Alzheimer's disease by 70%. The current recommended daily allowance for niacin is 16 mg per day for men and 14 mg per day for women. Peanuts are rich in niacin. One ounce of peanuts ( 28.6 peanuts or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter) contains 4.4 mg of niacin.
- PEANUTS CAN HELP PEOPLE WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES - A recent study published in the August 2011 issue of Diabetes Care by the American Diabetes Association shows that a diet including peanuts help people with type 2 diabetes control their blood sugar levels.
- PEANUTS CAN HELP PREVENT GALLSTONES - A report from the Nurses' Health Study shows that women who eat at least one ounce of peanuts or peanut butter a week have a 25% lower risk of developing gallstones. An ounce is 28.6 peanuts or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.
- PEANUTS CAN HELP IN WEIGHT LOSS - A study from Purdue University published in theInternational Journal of Obesity shows that people who eat nuts, including peanuts, at least twice a week are 31% less likely to gain weight than those who almost never eat nuts. The study shows that the participants who snacked on peanuts and peanut butter produced feeling of fullness and their hunger was reduced for two and half hours.
More Interesting Health Facts About Peanuts
- PEANUTS ARE HIGH IN PROTEIN - Protein is essential to the health of our cells. The cells in our body are constantly being replaced and repaired. We need protein to ensure the health of the new cells, and repair the damaged ones. Peanuts are an extremely high source of plant protein. Peanuts should be regularly incorporated in diet for children, vegetarians and protein deficient people.
- PEANUTS ARE HIGH IN ANTIOXIDANT - You know the benefits of antioxidants to our health. Peanuts contain high concentrations of the antioxidant polyphenols, primarily a compound called p-coumaric acid and oleic acid, that not only protect the heart but inhibit the growth of free radicals, keeping infection at bay.
- PEANUTS ARE GOOD SOURCE OF MINERALS - A rich source of minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, calcium, sodium, etc, so needed by our body to function well, is ensured by a regular consumption of peanuts. One of the health benefits of peanuts is that peanuts contain adequate supply of these minerals to ensure a healthy heart, and ensure minimized risk of mineral deficient diseases.
- PEANUTS ARE GOOD SOURCE OF VITAMINS - Vitamins are important for overall growth and development of a healthy body. The body benefits in vitamins so much. Vitamins ensure vital health for cells and tissues, and for fighting infections, etc, that in return ensure smooth functioning of our organs. Peanuts provide our body with essential vitamins, that also help in regulating metabolism, converting fat and carbohydrates into energy, and facilitating bone and tissue formation. A good source of folate, peanuts reduce the incidence of birth defects, and anemia related conditions.